Best Charity Film – Third Sector Awards
Earlier this year, our animation Sinking Feeling was shortlisted for the award for ‘Best Charity Film’ at the Third Sector Awards annual celebration. On Friday, at a lunch reception in London, we were crowned winners with the animation topping the category with huge competition from Tommys, Nacro, Royal Trinity Hospice, Guide Dogs, STAMMA, Kidney Care UK and The Ben Kinsella Trust.
It was an honour to be shortlisted amongst some wonderful charities who each had told their own stories through film so powerfully.
Sinking Feeling is a short animation created by BAFTA award winning animation studio Blue Zoo for PAYRUS Prevention of Young Suicide. The film was launched on World Suicide Prevention Day 2021 and explores themes of loneliness, isolation, and the importance of peer support.
The aim of the film was to tackle the heart-breaking reality that many children and young people are suffering in silence without the vital help and support they need.
Comments from the judges included…
- Brilliant, heartbreaking film. Very moving.
- Creative idea which is much needed to raise awareness of such a difficult subject.
- Excellent use of music and very clever animation explaining the challenge providing a great sense of how depression and lack of connection feels. Short, concise, and powerful.
- An accessible film, that’s moving. The choice of song is excellent.
- The use of sinking sand and song is a great combination to try and communicate the experience someone goes through and the need for people to support them. It was successful in PAPYRUS in increasing its reach with their target audience.
Tom Box of Blue Zoo Animation Studio said “When we set out to make a film for PAPYRUS, the main aim was to craft a film which utilised animation for an impactful purpose; to help deliver the charity’s message to those that urgently need to hear it. Winning this award is such a proud moment, as it demonstrates that Mark, Grant and the team far surpassed our ambitions to communicate a very delicate topic with maximum impact, delivering real world change.”
“To have worked with the team at Blue Zoo was a privilege and they took their time to understand our brief and how difficult a topic suicide is. Sinking Feeling was the perfect result and delivers a powerful and important message in a simple, stylish and accessible way. Winning the award for ‘Best Charity Film’ is a huge achievement and everyone at PAPYRUS is incredibly proud” Lisa Roxby, Head of Marketing and Communications, PAPYRUS.