Here at HOPELINEUK our Suicide Prevention Advisors play a very important role in not only taking calls from those at risk of suicide and concerned others, but we also run an invaluable text and email service. These services can be used by anyone who is experiencing thoughts of suicide, and also by those who are worried about somebody in their lives who may be at risk of suicide. We also offer a debriefing service – if you’ve had recent experience of suicide and want to talk about it – we’re here for you.
Our HOPELINEUK service is unique. Our life assisting caregivers have had extensive training in suicide prevention, and are equipped to work on safety plans to keep people safe from suicide.
So, what can you expect from our HOPELINEUK text and email services? After your first contact you will receive an automated response with our HOPELINEUK opening hours, after that, your message will be picked up by one of our advisors who will get to know more about your individual situation so that the best help can be provided.
HOPELINEUK text and email services are…
- A useful stepping stone for those who are worried about talking to someone or those who have never shared their thoughts of suicide before.
- Especially useful if people cannot talk due to their environment.
- Beneficial to those who are non-verbal or have difficulty hearing. We ensure that support can be provided to everyone.
- A way for people to feel empowered to take control of these thoughts of suicide and to reach out for the long-term support that they deserve.
Our HOPELINEUK advisors…
- Support people by asking whether that person is suicidal and explore their suicide story with them in a safe and sensitive way. We will never ask you to disclose anything that you don’t want to.
- Offer a confidential space for people to talk about their thoughts of suicide – as well as listening, we offer them practical support and guidance.
- Offer support to those concerned about anyone else.
- Always ensure that people are safe to talk to us, and any intervention policy is still in place over text and email services.
- Can signpost people to different organisations that may be able to support them more specifically about what is impacting on their thoughts of suicide, such as SOBS for those who may have been bereaved by suicide.
- Signpost people to relevant resources on the PAPYRUS website, including Safety Plans, Conversation Starters and Distraction Techniques.
- Signpost to some useful apps too such as Stay Alive and Calm Harm.
If you or someone you know is experiencing thoughts of suicide, call HOPELINEUK for free and confidential support on: 0800 068 4141
Text us on: 07860 039967
Email us on: email@example.com