The issues that PAPYRUS campaigns on includes:
- Raising awareness of the number of schoolchildren who die each year by suicide, and encouraging a whole-school approach to suicide prevention. Read more about Save The #ClassOf2018.
- The need to change the standard of proof used by coroners in reaching a conclusion of suicide - currently they use the criminal standard which, PAPYRUS believes, perpetuates stigma. Support our campaign to change the law.
- Pressing for accurate national statistics relating to young suicide
- Improving internet safety in relation to pro-suicide sites and reducing access to on-line information about suicide method/means.
- Sensitive and appropriate media reporting about suicide
- Improving access to quality and timely support services for young people experiencing emotional distress
- Working with professionals to understand the appropriateness of information sharing (e.g. with parents, partners and carers) which may prevent suicide in young people. Read more in News.
- Calling for the insurance industry to stop selling life insurance that excludes death by suicide. Read an update on this campaign here.
PAPYRUS has been a long standing member of the government advisory groups in England and Wales on suicide prevention matters. We are active members of the National Suicide Prevention Strategy Advisory Group in England and of the National Advisory Group on Suicide Prevention and Self-harm reduction in Wales. Other national bodies that we contribute to are the National Suicide Prevention Alliance and the National Police Suicide Prevention Strategy Advisory Group.